Wednesday, June 2, 2010

No bread, just fond memories...

Well, I have not had much time to bake, let alone take pictures of the process.  It has been a busy few days!  

When faced with a lot to do, I notice that my mind wanders whenever I can relax for a few moments.  

For example, when I was taking the bus to work this morning, I fell asleep for a few beautiful, lingering moments.  My thoughts wandered back to the places I knew as a kid...


...will you look at that! The dogs are smaller breeds now, but seem interested in where we are going.

When I boat camp, I find it is nice to have lots of 'stuff' along, make a base camp, and then empty out the boat for fishing and exploring.

















Whoa, what's that?  A smile is starting to show on the old man's face!  
It is not that I don't like people, I do;  it is just that I crave a little solitude once in a while, and that is hard to find in the city.

We took the long route, and turned a simple boat ride into a great adventure.  Under bridges, across the barge traffic, all the while heading for a river so shallow most boaters do not bother to go there, for fear of running aground.
  
Once we leave the lake and hit the river, the dogs are on duty, watching for sand bars!


Until the novelty wears off...

..and we are miles from anyone.




Which doesn't take long.  They don't care, just as long as they get to be with you.  The closer, the better.

I do not want to remove any hooks from puppies, so I am pretty careful to keep the rods off to one side.


Of course, my seat is where they prefer to sit.  Especially when things get bumpy, which is part of the fun.

Fishing was great.  Lots of fish, and lots of variety.  We kept three small slot limit walleyes for supper, and went back to camp to make a fire which, of course, was entirely too big for May weather.  

Perfect.

 
Channel cats are fun to catch, but that big smallmouth was a real fighter.  They are all still swimming, as far as I know.

We had set up the tent in a small field of onion grass, and the back door was overlooking the river, while the front faced the fire.

We woke up to several Tom turkeys gobbling, wood ducks screaming as they burst from the trees, and all kinds of birds singing.  Every year, there is resolve to learn more of the songs so that the songs can be identified.  Which, of course, never happens.

A big Blackjack Cormorant looked in on the campsite and when he saw me looking back, he quickly ducked underwater, unaware that when the water is only three feet deep, he was still quite visible.

  And after a leisurely breakfast of leftover walleye, eggs with onion grass seasoning, and strong coffee, we started our second day, without a care in the world.


And now, you know what I was daydreaming about during my city bus ride this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment